Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Heard in class and faithfully reported

-" as an entrepreneur, you should be clear about your ethical values and standards. I am not telling you what they should be, only that you must be clear about them" - REP professor
-"well, clearly, in certain countries, there is even in incentives within the tax system itself to dodge taxes. I mean, clearly, this is my behavior" - student responding

"ok - we are going to simulate a feedback session. You are all my boss, I have just given feedback to my subordinate and I am asking you for feedback on my feedback. So here we go

"you are so pitifully incompetent that I am wondering why I am even wasting my time talking to you. In fact, you have just been moved to the empty office in the dark closet with no window, even though I promised never to move you. Your bad performance beats all previously established records of lows consistently. I don't want to hear your grievances and excuses. In fact, this is so bad, that if things are not changing, we need to be re-thinking your future in this company."
- OK so how well did I do?

The class (all together)
Awful, no hints of positive behaviors, not future-looking, unilaterally said, disrespectful, rude.

The professor "so how is this different from the feedback that I just gave?"

Humbling moment...

No comments: