Saturday, March 06, 2004

Great day today - lunch by the river, walk aorund Little India and some of the Hindu temples, move onto Chinatown for some cheap buys, drinks at home with view over Singapore skyline and an excellent dinner at The Blue Ginger.

I have been thinking about our Negotiation Journal. I must either find something that I consider non-negotiable, go out in the world and negotiate it, then record my learnings. Or, I must go out in the world and bring back 10 Nos, and record my learnings.

If I take the first one, what would be my options?

- I could go to the MBA Office and ask for a discount on my tuition fee. I have already paid them and it would be highly unfair to everyone else. So I guess that this would qualify as a non-negotiable.
- I could go to the local food court and insist on buying only ONE sweet and sour prawn
- I could go to the Raffles and negotiate to see if I can get into the building in shorts
More simply, the China class prof sent out an e-mail via the MBA Office indicating that he did not want anyone to audit his class. I could walk up to him and try to make his change his mind.

How about the No project.

- I could walk up to an anonymous person in the street and ask for $100.
- I could ask someone who really does not like me to accompany me on a year-long trip in a 2-person boat
- I could ask a Singapore taxi to drive me to Bangkok
- I could ask the Brits to join the Euro
- I could ask a French person to mix wine and coke
- I could ask for a free lunch at the canteen

But I should stop here as I might be giving away some ideas...

No comments: