Friday, March 12, 2004

We have registered an INSEAD team for a yacht race (J24 Shoot Out) at the Republic of Singapore Yacht Club next Saturday. We will try to train during the week. We will have a 4-person crew. I had been contacted by another Singaporean team (and a good one at that) but I turned down their offer to defend the colors of the school. I hope that everyone appreciates my dedication to this program.

I registered with the Changi Sailing Club to take the Singapore licence that will allow me to charter a boat in the national waters. They do not accept foreign licences because of the presence of multiple hazards. My personal take is that it boosts business: you MUST take a course at a local sailing club and you MUST give money to the government to have your nice little shiny permit. The sailing world in general shows some inconsistencies: in the US, you can be a young 20-yr old Maverick with no knowledge of sailing, rent or own a huge yacth and venture into the wild wild sea. In the UK, you can be a drunk 16-yr at the helm of a 36-foot boat manoeuvring her way back into port and be legal. In France, all they want to check is that you can pilot a power boat in port. This can be explained by the fact that the owners of the very expensive (and almost never used) yachts in Saint Tropez harbor are getting increasingly worried about their hulls and brass fittings.
Captainship comes in handy only if you start charging people.

I have an outstanding theory test for my US certification program. There are several steps in the program and I took a practice test but then left the country before I could sit the written exam. US Sailing has just reached an agreement with the Republic of Singapore Yacht Club. The Club Commodore will be able to act as a proctor. I was impressed at the club's diligence in their response, ability to craft a very quick and appropriate solution for this unusual request. Is this surprising to anyone?

No comments: