Wednesday, March 10, 2004

My days are starting to get so full that I thinking about hiring a full-time assistant to take care of some of the more mundane activities such as going to class to enable me to focus on the career-deciding events: cocktails, dinners, etc...

Seriously, the Singapore campus offers a lot of support for job search. We have workshop on interview skills; salary and compensation package negotiation practice gyms; case interview practices. I do not remember having seen any of that on the European campus. It is good but it quickly fills up my day. Tomorrow I am starting at 8.45am and I have non stop activities - including a 1.5hr team negotiation exercise - until 9.30pm. Shell is coming to campus to recruit.

I am as usual late (by my standards) on everything...Job Search, e-mails, club activities, case studies. I have a Finance case due tomorrow and I am about to start reading about it. It is currently 7.30pm...It is the same usual whirlpool of activities that characterizes the program. Except this time, it has intensified with a very personal touch: Job Search.

I have extremely judiciously selected the electives which are the most demanding of the program (Negotiation, Realizing Entrepreneurial Potential and Applied Corporate Finance). In fact, I was looking at the resume of one of the speakers (top flyer in investment banking) for an upcoming event that I am helping out with. This person seems to be able to balance everything in life. So I decided to do the same as it is clear that we must follow the examples set by these leaders.

First, I will load up my schedule with school work, until it explodes. I rely heavily on INSEAD to support me on that.
Then, I will find other stuff to balance it with, such as a partner of some sort; maybe some charity work. Sports would help make it more credible as well, provided I can claim to be at national level.

No comments: