Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Functional, clean...and picky.

This morning, I was very politely told off by a guard because I was not walking on the little yellow footsteps, carefully painted on the sidewalk. This is to keep pedestrians out of the way and protect them from cars. It was 7.30am, there was not one car in sight.

The other day, I asked a taxi driver to stop in front of the store that I needed to go to. He said that he would not stop because he had to stop on the white lines, in front of the taxi stand. That was 800m further down.

On the other hand, taxis are a great way to get around the city/country. They are cheap, fast and numerous. You can just hail them, or reserve them ahead of time and pay an extra S$3, about 1.5 bucks.

I had to undergo a medical check for the student visa, including a lung X-Ray for SARS prevention. This was down in about 10 minutes, with a 5 minute wait time by a charming lady doctor. I booked the appointment yesterday. I will receive the results within two days, ready to be taken to the immigration office. That is what I call efficiency.

No comments: