Tuesday, June 01, 2004

On Sunday, I got up half-rested early afternoon and I set to prepare the desserts for the 30-odd people who were due to come to dinner in the evening, before freeing up the kitchen floor for my housemate to prepare his wonderful curry. I worked with my hands up in flour until my elbows and courageously baked two strawberry tarts (with fresh seasonal strawberries and a crème patissiere), a cherry clafoutis (with fresh seasonal black cherries), an apple cake (with fresh all-year round apples), a lemon cake (with fresh lemons), a yogurt cake (with artificial brasse yogurt). It took me four hours. Until the last minute, I feared that my “pate brisee” would indeed by broken, or that the clafoutis would burn as I would be busy lining up more dough for the rest of the event. I had forgotten how fun cooking can be! Especially if you have half a dozen of bottles of lovely French wine to keep you going throughout the afternoon…

Dinner was a success. With the leftovers, we could compete with our neighbors, Le Grand Veneur restaurant for many days to come.

Of course, the consequence of this laid-back weekend was a very late night on Monday as I had to catch up with group work. I must also catch up with job search – as come to think of it, I am still unemployed.

No comments: