Sunday, June 13, 2004

On the France Telecom front, not to name them, I did the following
- sent a letter back offering to meet so that I understand the charges and make sure there is no mistake. I indicated that I'd be willing to settle all my financial obligations once they appear clear to me and I would appreciate their help in solving the matter. I insisted that I wanted to do this as simply and as quickly as possible.

- sent a general email around school to ask for counsel. Someone replied he knew a senior person at France Telecom, which would help raise the visibility of the issue and not make me fall in the group of "I don't pay my bills", which probably contains another few hundred people. I assumed that the bailiff, who works with the lawyer is getting paid a commission based on how much money he brings back. He has no incentives in reading my letters and in making this a mistake. He has an interest in making this procedure sound as impossible as he can to discourage me to fight back and gets quick and easy money. However, I call paying for a service that I never received fraud. And if I must pay, I want to feel confident that it is indeed an obligation that I contracted. And the fact that a firm incurs a cost, unless it was made clear to you that you were to bear this financial risk, does not mean that you must cover it. I really do not know that I must pay - maybe I do, and all I am asking for is a legitimate explanation which I believe I deserve.

I also got three numbers for local lawyers. Perhaps a quick and hopefully cheap consultation will help me. Wish me luck...

No comments: