Sunday, April 11, 2004

This term is nearly complete. As a recap for everyone, I took four electives.

- Realizing Entrepreneurship Potential. This focuses on people buying a company and adding value to it, from researching the field for an appropriate target, to deal structuring, valuation, financing to how do I make more money out of this business. It pretty much wraps everything that we saw in all the other classes, touches upon marketing, accounting, finance, managerial accounting, Operations Management, negotiation, etc...the prof was an ex-entrepreneur who could be elected the most entertaining professor in Singapore. He is also very much aware of the traps waiting for us out there and of the questions we might have before we formulate them. He is British, he speaks fluent French, very decent Spanish and knows everyone in town.
I recommend, even if you don't want to be an entrepreneur. This would work for any group you'd take over.

- Transnational Governance, Business and Society. Basically a class that talks about how politics is linked to business. Global Warming and Water Shortages, environmental issues, transnational organization such as IMF, World Bank, Devleopment Banks, World Economic and Social Forums, etc...NGOs, corruption, regional issues, etc...It is a very interesting class but not so applied to business as I would have hoped it to be. Prof is New Zealander but he has spent most of his life working and living outside of his country.

- Applied Corporate Finance - we did our final presentation a few days ago. We tried to make it funny (the CEO coming to the rescue of the company was portrayed as Zorro, the M&M proposition from Finance 1 was introduced by two women M&M from the famous candy family, etc, etc...) but we made a blatantly obvious mistake at the end when it came to valuating a call option. Anyway, this happens! The prof is French and is astonishingly good. He works without a net (no note), picks up on every little details, zooms out to gives us a high level intuition view before zooming back down again on the particular problem that we are facing. I have never understood so clearly the issues - and how to go around them - in modern applied finance. Congrats. A lot of work, but all interesting (it is not just about numbers) and fantastically rewarding. I recommend too! Even if you don't want to work in Finance. It is good not to be too fooled by bankers.

- Negotiation Analysis. Very hands on class (I will write about my non-negotiable), loads of external speakers, loads of class exercises. I think that this class gives you several things

a) it makes you aware of your strenghts and weaknesses as a negotiator
b) it makes you a better negotiator
c) it changes your view on negotiation - not a bargaining game, or at least, it does not have to be
d) it allows you to challenge a very narrow view of the world to change the name of the game whenever you enter a negotiation. I could experience it during our "difficult conversation" exercise. Because I did not react defensively or traditionally, we turned this conversation into a different process. We first negotiated this process, then made the meeting a lot more productive.
The professor is Brazilian and is SO good. Also with a lot of professional experience (and like the REP professor, he is an INSEAD grad) and this adds a lot to the class. He can talk about real-life situations and he knows the kind of challenges we will be facing.

I will have completed this term's assignment for our REP project by tomorrow. We will still be left with the group project until the end of P5.
I have handed in my journal in Nego, three negotiations to go, and a final nego exam
We have handed all our ACF projects, we have no more classes
I have yet to hand in my Transnational project, some time in the coming days.

And I have to find myself a cool job.
And I must plan my P4-P5 break.

And I must file my taxes...

No comments: