Monday, April 05, 2004

I had the most bizarre informational interview recently. It lasted for less than fifteen minutes, I was unable to ask any of the questions I wanted to ask - which were all along the lines of: what aspect of the company do you like? What do you say is so special about this company, etc...things that are difficult to know from the public side. I was not planning on talking more about myself at that stage, expecting the meeting to be like all the other informational interviews I had before, when the people are only too happy to talk about their business.

I had brought a CV along and that is what the person was looking for.
- ok, so we would be sending you to your home country for work so let me see what we have available there
- oh, really? is this how your process work?
- yes, of course, we recruit people for positions for their home country only. What value is there to send them elsewhere?

At this point, I was thinking: my resume indicates 7 years of residence and work experience outside of my home country - and in two countries, both with a language that was not my mother tongue -, not a single working year in my home country, indicates two degrees from two different countries, one international undergrad program, travels to over 35 countries, including months of presence at a time on one continent for leisure, fluency in three languages and an INSEAD MBA, reputable for the mobility of its participants, who have actually for the most part taken a year outside of their home country - I am meeting the person in Singapore, thousands of miles away from my home country => how many more hints would I need to put forth to show that I might not be solely interested in my home country? In fact, if I were to work in my home country, it would entail an international move since all my stuff is stored an ocean away right now.

- your company was recently voted as one of the top 100 companies in the world to work for. Can I ask you what, in particular, you like about the company?
- it is a great company to work for. Just send me your resume, I'll look at it and forward it as I see fit. Have a good day.

Flabbergasted I was. Frustration I must refrain for tempted by the dark side of the force I must not be.

I have also learned something from an insider: a specific group in another company employs a lot of INSEAD grads already, so it is likely that they will not hire from us this year - ransom of success!

No comments: