Thursday, April 01, 2004

I lost my Singapore ID card - I needed to get a police report to take to immigration before a replacement one was to be issued. I turn up at the Clementi Neighborhood Police Center, a super modern facility, and I am greeted by the Center Pledge:

- answer all '999' calls within 10 seconds
- go to all urgent emergencies within 15 minutes, non urgent one within 30 minutes (I have yet to figure out what a non urgent emergency might be)
- tend to customer within 15 minutes
etc...etc..

Very customer oriented.

I get there and the whole place is completely empty apart from two lonely police constables busy playing networked video games. I tell them about my business and they call out the officer, a very pretty young lady, who extremely politely invites me to take a seat. Within less than a minute, someone was taking care of my trivial case. Less than 1 minute later, I had a triplicate of the report in my hands. I asked whether this lack of "customers" was typical, or if was only because I came off peak? The officer looked at me for a long time before replying: "no, this is quite typical, nothing ever happens here" She sighed deeply.

No comments: