Saturday, May 15, 2004

I was so taken by all these mundane activities that Insead MBAs indulge in during the week, such as going to classes that I forgot the most important part. This week was ITALIAN WEEK!

And yesterday evening was the party which I missed. Friends just told me about what happened though and I am glad I was not there to witness this. It would be typically the kind of events that men might find enjoyable but that, as a woman, I find quite degrading. I bet you that the Wharton exchange students were shocked.

Two female dancers were hired. They wore very very light clothes and at some point found themselves topless - something I had seen at The Moulin Rouge in Paris earlier in the year, never at an INSEAD Party. The Winner of the Italian Prize (a trip to Italy for two) was sat between the two topless ladies, who got very close. He must have found the situation very enjoyable, at the expense of the two ladies. One might argue that these ladies are doing this job because they enjoy it, because they get good money for it, because it is easy and that among all the alternatives they have available to them, it is a safe way to make an ok living. If demand is there, why not.

One might also argue that this is not necessary for everyone to have a good party. Good music, good company - and admittedly good beer are already three components that should suffice to provide enough entertainment value for most of us. Playing with people's fantasies at a school party which cater for all sorts of different levels of moral attitudes is what I argue against. Entertainment at the expense of someone else's dignity - even if this person does this voluntarily - is not something that I want to subscribe to. Too bad I contributed 15 Euros. At Le Moulin Rouge, it was clear that this was what people were going to see and were willing to pay for. I did not know that this would be on offer - had I known, I would not have wanted to witness it.

I like parties, I like being with people, I like dancing - I don't drink more than the occasional glass of wine because I became so ill once with forced drinking that I never want to go through this experience again. I don't like paying to fulfill someone else's fantasies. I would hope that we do not need this to be happy.

To end on a happy note, I will now turn to my assignment, due yesterday, and then go outside!

No comments: