Sunday, May 23, 2004

Do I think that you need a car if you want to live in a village? Yes I think you do because

- cycling to school is fun (I do it) but difficult in winter (I did not do it) and even dangerous if there is snow
- sharing cars is difficult since you are unlikely to have the same class schedule, want to go to the same party (or at the same time), might need to do shopping 15 kms away, etc...
- buses do not go there and they would only run when you don't need them (as in during class hours)
- there are no taxis at night (at least, none I could ever locate)
- it is cold in the winter, it is dark at night, there are loads of wild deers and boars (I saw my first boar of the year last week)

In Fontainebleau, you do not need a car but it comes with limitations as you will depend on other people to go to any out-of-town event. I know people who have not got cars and who live in Fontainebleau.

In Singapore, you do not need a car. Taxis are plentiful and inexpensive, buses and metro function extremely efficiently and cheaply. Any other travel will entail either a bus, a plane or a ferry. You can also rent car for a weekend and share the expense with friends.

Where can you get a car? Contact Executive Solutions who might be able to redirect you but I would say that the options could be

- find a friend who is dumb enough to lend you his or her car
- buy mine at the end of this year, 4 years old, perfect state and cheap
- rent (to be considered if you are going to Singapore) - one of the rental places was offering a fairly good deal but its name escapes me.
- lease (about 4k Euros per year all inclusive)
- buy (you bear insurance and maintenance financial obligation) but if you don't drive often and are willing to go through the hassle of reselling, you might end up better off financially
- steal: I would advise strongly against this, especially if you are eyeing mine

No comments: